Sunday, September 25, 2022

A New Direction

After teaching for twenty-two years, my faith has called me in a new direction. I have left teaching in order to pursue a writing career, something that I have wanted to do since I was a high school student. I love writing! It inspires me!

I have been blocked out of my old blogger account so I have created a new one. But since I still have access to my work, I have copied and pasted my original writings on educational issues in this new blogger account. If you want to access my original blog, the link is on the right side of the page under the Link gadget.

It was a big risk leaving teaching, something that I enjoyed. The students I taught were wonderful and the time I spent with them are memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I was so fortunate to teach with a great teacher my last five years in teaching. Dr. Ryan Read was awesome and I will never forget how he inspired me to reach new heights. But God has called me into a new direction. A direction that I am passionate about and thoroughly enjoy doing.

My last days of teaching were in October of 2021. Though it was sad to walk away from teaching, I have no regrets (except not teaching with Ryan). The first free day I had, I jumped right into writing. Since I was in high school, I have had dreams about being able to write fulltime. My biggest dream was to write about what I knew best and that was theology, philosophy, farming and animals.

I have been amazed at how God has inspired me to write. After taking some quiet time on our deck, many ideas popped into my head. I started with short stories about farm animals, and since I grew up on a dairy farm, I wrote short stories about the adventures I had when I was milking cows. All the stories I write about are from the point of view of the animals, which was actually quite fun to do.

The first book I have completed is a book named, The Little Family. I found great enjoyment writing it. It challenged me on all levels. Since the book involves a range of topics, I was especially grateful for the skills I learned while obtaining my Masters Degree in Systematic Theology. Learning how to research was fundamental to the storyline of this book. It still has not been published, though I have offers by two publishing companies. I am presently writing a sequel to the book, which again, is challenging. Thinking from the mindset of an animal can be quite daunting.

I have also finished a rough draft of a murder mystery called The Garden of Eden Killer. While writing the book, I was mystified and yet appreciative, of the ideas that were sparked. I believe that God was behind these inspirational ideas since I was surprised to see how they all worked together into the story line. The story embraces my Irish background which I know would make my parents pleased since they both came from Irish families. The main characters are two Irish detectives hunting a serial killer that can not seem to keep his hands off Christian woman.

The Garden of Eden Killer manuscript is completed. I am presently working through the storyline to make sure of its completeness. I would also like to thank Tammy Pierson for working with me on the reread. It is taking quite awhile, and probably a lot more time than Tammy thought it would take, but her insights have been invaluable.

If you want summaries of the books, you can find them on my website. The link to that site can be found underneath the gadget Link, though it probably is not updated to my liking.

If you know of a literary agent that might be interested in my work, please let me know. It would be a great help.

No comments:

From the Eyes of the Author

    Here is a synopsis of the book that I wrote called the Little Family.